Tuesday 24 July 2012

Why has this weather followed me?

Well! I am in Cannes. Well, technically Mougins, a town just a few minutes away. Unfortunately, I was followed by the lovely rainy weather I was experiencing in Britain (please appreciate the sarcasm).
But, unlike the UK, it was still really warm, so running through the rain as Elliot and I tried to get to the restaurant where we would be having dinner, it wasn't so bad. The soaked clothing was worth it though when we ran through a skinning ally-way lined with small bars and restaurants and squeezed into the tiny La Farigoule, a  whole in the wall restaurant run by three crazy French ladies. And when I say crazy, I mean crazy. 
All of the customers (including me) were very often startled by the sudden yells coming from the back, as the three of them ran around yelling at each other and arguing with customers about what they should eat etc etc. Their food was incredible though. For the entree I had their fish soup, which came with a dish of croutons topped with ali-oli and sharp cheese. 
Then, for le plate principale I strangely decided to be adventurous and try the steak tartare, which to my great surprise, I loved! 
It was so much food, and the craziest lady of the three made sure we finished everything. 
And of course, there was dessert, which came with the menu. Elliot and I shared a chocolate cake and poached caramel apples with ice-cream. But that was not before the crazy lady #1 had taken out all of their tarts and cakes (lemon, apricot...) and showed them to us and the table next door. 
I was funnily surprised when the check came, not because of the amount, but rather the very formal presentation...
Just a straight to the point piece of paper with the amount we owed. 
By the time we were finished, it had stopped raining, so we took a walk through the little streets and water front of Cannes. 

A great first day in the South of France. Hopefully the weather will be a bit better in the next few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment